If you want to make something special for Valentine’s Day, here are some delicious strawberry frosted cupcakes. This is my first time making them so as with all my recipes I have found a couple of things I would adjust for next time.
When making the buttercream my measurements are approximates to start with as once you add the strawberries the extra liquid they bring will require more icing sugar to create the right consistency. Keep adding icing sugar until the mix is firm.
For the icing hearts I tested a variety of sizes and found that the bigger ones didn’t set as well so next time I would just make lots of little ones, I would also make them a darker and more contrasting colour to the frosting. Both the hollow and filled smaller hearts set well but were obviously very delicate so be gentle when you add them to the cupcakes. I would recommend making your decorations the day before you bake if you can as they will then be fully set and it means you can add the directly onto the freshly frosted cupcakes.
- 120g Butter (softened)
- 120g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 110g Self-raising Flour
- 150g Softened Butter
- 350g Icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Pink food colouring
- 40g Strawberries (chopped)
- Icing sugar
- Pink Food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until fully combined.
- Mix in the flour and then add the eggs. The mix should now be a spoonable consistency, if it seems too thick add some milk. Make sure not to over-mix otherwise the cupcakes will become dense.
- Fill a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- Spoon the mix into the cases (filling approximately half way).
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes, rotating the tray half way.
- Check they are fully cooked but poking a cocktail stick into a cupcake, if it comes out clear then they are done.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool.
- For the buttercream, cream together the softened butter, icing sugar and milk.
- Once fully combined, mix in the pink food colouring and gradually add the chopped strawberries.
- The frosting should be smooth but hold its shape, if it is too runny then gradually add more icing sugar until it stiffens up.
- Scoop the frosting into an icing bag and then frost onto the cupcakes.
- For the decorations, mix together the icing sugar, water and food colouring. Try to keep the icing as firm as possible while still being pipe-able.
- Onto greaseproof paper pipe the icing into heart shapes and sprinkles.
- Leave the icing to fully set before pealing off the greaseproof paper.
- Decorate cupcakes with the icing hearts.
Also See: Valentines Gift Ideas