I have been looking for a low cal, healthy lunch that will also fill me up and this is what I came up with! I’ve taken inspiration from the Nando’s supergrain side which I love! However, this version is a bit healthier.
This mix topped with a mixed leaf salad should make approximately 4 lunches worth.
- 50g Pearl Barley
- 50g Mixed Red Quinoa,
- 1 tin of Butterbeans (drained)
- 100g Sweetcorn
- 100g Peas
- Salad Leaf Mix
- Pico De Gallo (to top)
- Low Fat Salad Dressing (approx 1/2 tbsp per portion)
- First you will want to cook your pearl barley as it can take over an hour (read the instructions on the packet). I would recommend doing it on the slightly undercooked side otherwise it can become kind of mushy.
- Boil you quinoa mix (again follow the packeted instructions)
- Once both lots of grains are cooked, rinse with cold water and leave to cool.
- Cook your peas and sweetcorn.
- Drain the butterbeans and rinse in cold water.
- Mix the beans & grains together and add your salad.
- I also topped mine with homemade pico de gallo click here for the recipe.
- For a bit more flavour drizzle over a low fat dressing.
Add your own extra ingredients or grilled chicken to make it more filling.
For more foodie updates, follow my Instagram @siansblogs!
Also See: Spicy Bean Chili