Exam season is pretty much on top of us now (or in the UK at least), good luck to everyone who has already started, but if you’re still in revision mode, then here are my top tips!
- Practise, Practise, Practise – Past papers, example questions and essay plans. The best way to get your technique down is to put it into practise!
- Get the worst done first – Focus on your weakest subjects/topics and try to tackle these first.
- Make your revision station – You don’t want to be going back and forth wasting time, set yourself up with all your study resources, water and snacks. Lay everything you need out in front of you and crack on!
- Find what’s best for you – Everyone is different so try things until you find out what suits you the most. Take the VARK Questionnaire to find out your best learning style.
- Keep on top of it – It might be a bit late now but try to make clear and concise notes throughout the year, don’t leave everything until the last minute, otherwise you will be overwhelmed.
- There’s never enough time – It will always feel like you are running out of time to revise, so help yourself and start as early as possible.
- Keep it neat – For me anyway I know I find it much easier to read through notes which are written out clearly and neatly then a panicked jumble of points. So, when you’re making your revision notes keep them organised and easy to read.
- Make a plan and stick to it – Make yourself a simple revision plan, it can be by the hour or a topic a day, the important thing is that you stick to it!
- Ask for help – If you don’t understand something, make sure you take the opportunity to ask someone who knows for help, don’t leave it until it’s too late.
- Take a break – Your mind can’t keep going with no breaks, make sure you give yourself a chance to recuperate.
- Remove distractions – If you know you get side tracked by your phone or tv, remove these before you start revising.
- Look online – If you’ve exhausted your text books then there are loads of online resources to help you with notes and revision!
- Break it down – Conquer things one topic or subtopic at a time
- Reduce, Reduce, Reduce – When you’re getting closer to your exams, it’s time to start reducing those notes to smaller and smaller points which act as prompts for you to expand on. Then you should only need to remember a few bullet points on the day, but expand while you’re writing.
- Don’t panic – Whatever happens it’s not the end of the world. Just remember, you can only do you best!
Do you guys have any more tips for revision? Share your ideas in the comments below!